Monday, March 10, 2008

Freakin' out over Figs!


So, when I visited my girlfriend, MM, I took her three different types of muffins. The two types of bran muffins listed below and an oat-topped fig muffin. Out of all the muffins, my girlfriend had the most enthusiastic response over the fig muffins. Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the 'original' fig muffin recipe. Those cudos below to my friend, and fellow bread baker, Gina. However, I can't let a recipe go without a few small Christa style tweaks (of course). Below is my tweaked up recipe.

Oat-topped fig muffins

1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 c whole wheat flour
3/4 to 1 c Splenda
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 and 1/2 c fat free milk
1/2 yogurt (I used Dannon Light 'n Fit-Vanilla Creme) (note: the original recipe called for 1 and 1/2 c lowfat buttermilk; didn't have any, hence the milk and yogurt substitution)
1 and 1/4 c chopped dried figs
1 T canola oil
1 t vanilla extract
2 egg or 1/2 cup egg substitute

topping
3 T brown sugar
1/4 c quick cooking oats
1 T butter or margarine (I used Parkay light)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine flours, sugar and next three ingredients into a large bowl. Mix and make a well in the center of the mix. In a smaller bowl, whisk together milk and next 5 ingredients. Then, pour fig mixture into flour mix. Stir until combined. If batter seems a little dry, try adding milk or yogurt, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is wet but not runny. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into muffin cups that are coated with cooking spray.
Combine the three ingredents for topping into a bowl and toss with fork until combined (it will appear crumbly in texture). Sprinkle over muffins. Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Muffins are done with a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Makes approximately 15 to 16 muffins.

Gina tells me that there are only 85 calories per muffin. But, the taste makes you think it's a 300+ calorie splurge!

Happy Baking!

No comments: