Monday, July 28, 2008

The Last Lecture - A tribute


I was going to write a cheerful little entry on our trip to Ocracoke Island and visit to the Ocracoke Lighthouse. Then, I heard the news that Randy Pausch died of pancreatic cancer on Friday.

Only 47 years old, Pausch touched the lives of many, many students before going onto pop culture success as the author of the book, The Last Lecture. I am always amazed at the myriad of ways the human personality can interpret/view a situation. In Pausch's case, obstacles served a purpose. They "give us a chance to show how badly we want something."

His whole view around obstacles was: "The brick walls are not there to keep us out, the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the OTHER people."

Like many, I am saddened by this loss, but I rejoice the fact that his words live on.

No comments: