Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It's not lopsided, it's 'hand made'

Warning: Objects in this blog are smaller than they appear (much smaller)



Yeah. This ain't your mass produced pottery. This is prime-grade, first time attempts from my pottery wheel class. Of course, this is the product after 4 lessons. I'd show you the product from that first lesson, but . . . that's right, I trashed what I was trying to make.

However, with some practice, practice and patience, I'm getting it. Not perfect. But, as our teacher says, it isn't supposed to be 'perfect;' it's hand made. Yeah. Great. I think she just tells us that to make us feel better.

This hobby has also reinforced the lesson that not every action has to have a tangible outcome. My first few times at the studio by myself ended up being two hours of 'attempts' and no final product. However, all those attempts ended up being lessons. Either the lesson of getting a feel for the clay, learning how to 'center' your clay, knowing when you've walls are too thin, and realizing that 'point' at which if you touch or try to mold it any further, you'd be doing more harm than good. Lessons aren't tangible, but nonetheless, they are valuable.

I threw some more pieces today, but one of them might be a dud. It came off the wheel looking beautiful. Shallow bowl, lovely shape, wide lip. However, after several minutes, I noticed one side of my lip starting to droop. Uh-oh! Can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow. I'll just tell folks my pottery is influenced by Salvador Dali.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pottery pieces look pretty darn good to me. I can't wait to see the final product.

Popoki said...

I can't wait to see them in person and find a special place for them in our home

Gazella said...

Sounds like your bowl may have had a TIA. Maybe you should add some baby aspirin to the clay :-)

Simpatico said...

These, after just 3 or 4 lessons? You're WAY too creative to be related to me!