Friday, February 20, 2009

Calling for Reader input


Oh, please! I so did NOT make this bowl.

So, I've talked about the steps in making a pottery piece, but what about after all that throwing, praying to the Pottery God, trimming and sanding? Well, kind readers, that's where even more fun awaits! After we make the pieces, they are allowed to dry (completely-key term here). Then, they go through three more critical steps:
1. A low-firing (only to about 1400 or 1500, I believe)
2. Coloring/glazing
3. Final high-firing (hotter than you want to know)

Right now, I've got a bunch (like a whole kiln shelf worth) of pieces being low-fired. That means those pieces will be ready to glaze/color/decorate next week. So, my homework assignment to you: Take a look at your pottery at home and share with me information about your favorite pieces, their color, etc.

I welcome the suggestions. Just remember to keep it simple. I'm not that advanced when it comes to glazing. I say that yet I ordered Sample Set #3 of glazes from Coyote Clay and Color. My pottery teacher ordered a different sample set earlier this month. She did a trial run this week and I was there yesterday when she took pieces out of the kiln. Some were gorgeous and some combos . . . . not so great. I did take notes on what combos I liked and what to avoid. I think many of us (OK, me, mainly, but I'm the one making the stuff, right?) are going to like Archie's Base, Crazed Copper and the Light Shino.

3 comments:

Popoki said...

For me I like our lava plates, however, I think I will have to take you back to Hawaii for that. Some of my favorites colors are the earthy tones, however, on the other end of the spectrum are the deep reds and the dark coral blues

Dawn said...

It's so hard to tell from the samples online, but I like all the shino's, especially cedar, sandstone, smokey, steel gray, and light blue, and light green.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, the kid in the candy store is coming out of me.... I like the gun metal, cactus crawl, crazed copper, light blue, light green, sandstone, cedar, smokey and steel gray.