Monday, November 3, 2008

I know what you're expecting . . .


Probably some political tirade. How America is gonna get screwed if the guy who's Aunt has been living in the US illegally (as in illegal immigrant) for the past four years gets elected tomorrow. Right? Well, not so. Not what I'm feeling today. My frustration today is geared towards another way we humans are just destroying our country.

I am reading this book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Amazing nonfiction book. Yes! I said nonfiction!

This book details the life/lessons/hardships of this talented author and her family as they set about on an experiment to eat local for a year. Barbara and her family, who live in the Appalachia region of Virginia, either grew themselves or bought from local farmers. Thus, no 'fresh fruit' in January/February, no 'tomatoes' in December (unless they were ones they canned or dried during the growing season), no Pop-Tarts, no frozen turkey that was bred to produce a bird who's legs will not support its grown adult body, no . . . . Well, you get the picture.

Now, I'll admit, I'm not ready to give up diet soda, chocolate or Boca Burgers, but I am beginning to see the world-saving benefit of trying to think/eat like a 'locavore.'

Fact: We put almost as much fossil fuel into our refrigerators as we do our cars. How? Well, 17% of our annual oil use is in agriculture. This runs a close second behind (yup, you guessed it) oil for vehicular use. You might be thinking the bulk of this 17% is used in tractors, irrigation, sprayers, etc. All those things that get seed to harvest. NOT SO!!! 80% of the oil used in agriculture is 'spent' getting the product from farm to consumer.

Look at dinner tonight and chew on this: On average, what is on your plate traveled 1,500 miles. MILES!!!! My God! This makes my food more worldly and well traveled than myself.

Our food has more need for a passport than myself. Now that folks, is disgusting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting... Definitely some food for thought.

Simpatico said...

I enjoyed the link to this book and Kingsolver's self-sustaining farm. The idyllic life.